What Questions Should You Ask Your Eye Care Specialist?
Make the most of your eye appointment and make yourself an informed partner in your family's eye care. Be sure to ask your doctor:
- What is my visual acuity (on the 20/20 scale)?
- Do I have any eye diseases or disorders?
- What caused my condition? Is it hereditary?
- How will this condition affect my vision and lifestyle—now and in the future?
- Should I watch for any symptoms and notify you if they occur?
- What kinds of tests do I need?
- Why do I need them?
- When do I need them?
- What is the best medical/surgical treatment for me?
- When will treatment start, and how long will it last?
- What are the risks, side effects, benefits and success rates for treatment?
- Are other treatments available?
- Are there foods, drugs or activities I should avoid?
- If I need to take a medication, what should I do if I miss a dose?
- Would diet, exercise or other lifestyle changes improve my condition?
- Would vitamin and mineral supplements be helpful?
- If my vision can't be corrected, can you refer me for low vision resources and rehabilitation services?
When Was Your Last Eye Exam?
Remember, the best way to protect your vision is to schedule regular, thorough, dilated eye exams to check for hidden signs of sight-threatening conditions. Ask yourself and your family members—"When was your last eye exam?" If it was more than two years ago, it's time to pick up the phone.
For more information or a comprehensive examination . . .
Since 1985, Eye Care Specialists has provided comprehensive medical, surgical and laser care for virtually every eye condition to more than 121,000 people in southeastern Wisconsin. If you would like detailed booklets/handouts on cataracts, diabetic eye disease, dry eyes, flashes & floaters, glaucoma, macular degeneration, or other eye-related topics, please contact our Communications & Education Department at 414-321-7035. To schedule a comprehensive eye evaluation, call one of our three convenient Milwaukee-area locations shown at the top of this web page.